How to Remove a Window Screen for Each Type of Feldco Window
It’s no secret that your window screens can take quite the beating no matter the weather. Rain, snow, wind and even excessive heat can easily damage or dirty your screens. That’s why it’s important to know how to remove a Feldco window screen when it comes time to clean it.
Keep in mind, the removal of every window screen is not the same. For each style of window, the screen is removed in a specific way. Don’t worry, though. All window screens, regardless the style of your window, are pretty simple to take out and place back in.
Read on for step by step instructions on how to remove a Feldco window screen from three of our most popular window styles: the double hung, sliding and casement windows.
Double Hung Window Screen Removal
The double hung window is the most common window and is most likely the style you have in your home currently. Double hung windows have two operable sashes that slide up and down to provide ventilation. The reason most homeowners love this particular style of window is because both sashes can tilt in and are also removable for easy cleaning.
Knowing how to operate these sashes comes in handy when learning how to remove a window screen from a double hung window, as well.
Another thing to keep in mind is that these steps only apply to half screens which come standard in double hung and sliding windows. If you have a full screen, we’ll cover how to remove them later in the article. Stay tuned!
1. To remove the screen, you have to raise the lower sash of your window completely. Most double hung window screens have two tabs located at the bottom. These tabs should be pushed towards the center so the screen can be raised, as well. Raise the screen about 3 inches so it can be removed easily.
2. Once the screen is raised, grab the bottom of it with your hands firmly. Push the right tab toward middle again but this time compress the entire screen to the left. After this is done, the screen can be pushed out of the window frame. You’ll notice two springs on the side on your screen, these are called spring screen clips and are what helps the screen pop out with ease.
3. The final step is to turn the screen sideways and bring it inside so you can clean or replace it.
Reinserting Your Double Hung Screen
1. When you want to return the screen back to its rightful place, make sure the spring screen clips are on the left side and the felt strip at the bottom of your screen is facing you. This is the proper position the screen should be in before you return it.
2. In order to reinsert the window screen, you have to pass the whole thing through your window again. You cannot push it back in without doing this step.
3. Insert the spring screen clips into the left track of your window frame. Pull the right tab toward the center again and compress the screen to left. Then pull the screen toward you and back into place.
Sliding Window Screen Removal
Sliding windows, also called sliders, are another common window style and are usually found in tough to reach places, like over the kitchen sink. Sliders are much like double hung windows in how they operate, but design-wise, they’re double hung windows flipped on the side. They also add a modern touch to any room they’re in.
It’s also extremely easy to use a sliding window. All you have to do is release a latch and slide it open horizontally. It doesn’t get any simpler than that.
And guess what? You already know how to remove a window screen from a sliding window. That’s because the steps taken are almost identical to removing a double hung window screen.
1. The first step is to open one of the sashes of your sliding window all the way. Slide the screen toward the middle of the window.
2. Again, grasp the screen frame but this time push the screen up instead of to the side. The spring screen clips are located at the top of a slider window screen not on the side like a double hung window screen.
3. Push the screen out and twist to bring in towards you.
Reinserting Your Sliding Screen
1. To reinsert, just like with the double hung window, make sure the side of the screen with the felt strip is facing you. Don’t forget, the screen springs should be facing the top and not the side.
2. Push the screen outside of your sliding window and then place top into screen track. Push down to secure in track and slide screen back into place.
Casement Window Screen Removal
Another popular window style choice is the casement, or crank out, window. Casement windows are hinged at the side and you can open them by using a hand crank. They’re extremely easy to operate and provide a lot of ventilation and natural light.
Even though it might not look like it, learning how to remove a screen from a casement window is actually not hard at all. The casement window screen is designed to be just like the window itself – easy to use! That being said, the screen is even easier to remove than double hung and sliding window screens.
1. One thing that’s important to know when learning how to remove a window screen from a casement window is that there are tabs located on either side of the screen. These hold the window screen in place and need to be pulled out to release the screen from the frame.
2. Pull out all of the tabs at the same time to pop the screen out then simply remove it from the frame.
Reinserting Your Casement Screen
1. To return the screen, all you have to do is follow the above steps in reverse order. First, insert the screen into the frame.
2. Then once the screen is in the frame, push the tabs in to secure the screen back into place. That’s it! Easy, right?
Full Window Screens
If you have opted for full screens in your Feldco double hung or slider windows, don’t worry – the steps to remove the screen are just as easy to follow.
1. The first thing that needs to be done is to tilt down double hung sashes and completely remove sliding window sashes.
2. Once that is done, the full screens that are offered with sliding and double hung windows have very flexible frames. So much so that you can simply squeeze them to pull them into the home. There is a tab you can pull on to make them easier to compress.
Reinserting Your Full Screen
1. Again, follow the steps above in reverse to return your screen. Squeeze and pop back into the frame. It doesn’t get any simpler than that.
Now you know everything you need to know about how to remove a Feldco window screen from your window! Check out the video below for even more tips on how to operate your windows and how to remove their screens. And if you need new windows altogether, what are you waiting for? Get a quote!